Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Andrew Hush of ESPN Soccernet interviews Clint Dempsey (Part I)

Here.

My favorite part of the interview:

ESPNsoccernet: Since regaining your place, it seems you have been given some freedom to move from your outside midfield position when the moment is right.

CD: We try to make sure that, while we are trying to create things in attack, we know the right time to gamble. A perfect example was the goal against Manchester City, where I played it to Bobby [Zamora] and Jimmy [Bullard] was on the overlap but I was still up there in support of the attack.

The type of player Jimmy is, he likes to get about the field a lot. He finds himself in different positions and so, to try and help keep the shape, I tuck in sometimes when he goes out wide. I think that helps give us a better balance and makes us tougher to break down defensively in case we lose possession. If Jimmy makes a run on the right and I overlap, then there is a big hole in the middle if we lose the ball.

No comments: